Calp (Catalan enunciation: [ˈkalp]; Spanish: Calpe [ˈkalpe] is a coastal community situated in the comarca of Marina Alta, in the district of Alicante, Valencian Neighborhood, Spain, by the Mediterranean Sea. It has a location of 23.5 km ² and also a populace thickness of 920 persons/km ². The community lies 67 km from the city of Alicante as well as exists at the foot of the Natural Park of Penyal d'Ifac.
The economy of Calp is based primarily on tourist and also fishing. Many Iberian, Roman and Arab ancient sites exist in the town due to its calculated seaside location.
The Prime Meridian crosses Calp.
There are some continues to be that indicate the visibility of inhabitants around Calp in prehistoric times; some continues to be date back to the Bronze Age. The initial structures were introduced by the Iberians, constructed on the higher grounds.
The Penyal d'Ifac (in Spanish Peñón de Ifach) was the natural lookout for the occupants that stayed in the bordering locations. An additional lookout was the Morro de Toix Mountain, from which the Mascarat Abyss, a crucial flow along the coastline, can be controlled. The location gotten in relevance during the Romanization of the Iberian Peninsula. The territory's distance to the sea favoured marine profession and also fish factories. Evidence is at the historical site Els Banys de la Reina (the Queen's Bathrooms).
After the Arabs conquered Iberia, they developed a castle forgeting the Mascarat Abyss. When the area was overcome by the Crown of Aragon, the Muslim administration was preserved: small municipalities distinguished and also secured by a castle or citadel. For that reason, the residents of the area depended on the Castle of Calp.
In 1290, Calp came under the control of the Aragonese admiral Roger of Lauria, who bought for a village called Ifach to be built in the distance of the Rock of Ifach. In 1359, the fight between the after that monarch Peter II of Aragon and Peter I of Castile in the War of both Peters triggered the devastation of Ifac as well as a surge in the population of the Alqueria (from the Arabic Al-garya, implying the "village"). This country structure, typically created on mountainsides, is of an austere nature and also easy style. It is made up of 1 or 2 floors at the most, with simply the one gallery.
In 1386, the management system of the Castle of Calp was separated into the communities presently referred to as Benissa, Teulada, Calp, and also Senija. The community was ransacked by Barbary pirates in 1687. 290 townsfolk were caught as well as required to Algeria, where they were imprisoned for 5 years, till their liberation for gold as well as the release of pirate prisoners. After that, the community had 18 homes inside the castle walls and also some 350 citizens. In the 17th century, there was a rise in the populace, which triggered the consolidation of Calp.
In the direction of the mid-18th century, several jobs arose to develop a new strengthened wall surface around the town due to the fact that already, the increase in the population forced many inhabitants to live outside the security of the existing wall surfaces. Throughout the 19th century, the village created towards the west. The basic axis of growth was along the course between Altea and Alicante.
Throughout the second fifty percent of the 19th century, the angling market started to take off throughout the area. Buildings, such as the Angler's Cooperative, were created and functioned along with numerous existing factories dating from the end of the 18th century. These structures, however, were not a center of population dedicated to fishing tasks.
In 1918, the El Saladar salt apartments were cleaned up, and also the production of salt could once more occur. Many thanks to the technological innovations of the moments, bigger angling vessels were created. The first small hotels emerged in the area bordering Els banys de la Reina as well as the Racó Beach, as well as satisfied the emerging center classes. The summer tourist trade raised substantially with the building and construction of the Ifach Parador in 1935.
In between 1945 and the end of the 1950s, numerous vacation suites and tiny hotels were developed to suit the flourishing summertime tourist profession. The hotel sell the region lies nearly specifically on the seaside location. Throughout the second fifty percent of the 1960s, as taken place along the remainder of the Costa Blanca, there was a significant boom in building and construction in Calp due to political modification and the development of tourist as a sensation of the masses. In the late 1960s as well as very early 1970s, Calp came to be the recording location for the movies of Spanish Movie supervisor Jesus Franco.
Some of the most crucial monoliths are the damages of Els banyas de la reina (the queen's bathrooms), the swamped salt apartments, a bird haven for migratory birds, its Gothic Catholic church and also the 18th-century tower of La Peça.
Coordinates: 38°38′42″N 0°2′39″E
Autonomous community Valencian Community
Comarca Marina Alta
Judicial district Dénia
Area • Total 23.51 km2 (9.08 sq mi)
Elevation 59 m (194 ft)
• Total 21,633
• Density 920/km2 (2,400/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Calpí, calpina
Postal code 03710
Official language(s) Valencian Spanish